‘Twas the night before Christmas
and all through the house
Not a creature was stirring,
Not even a mouse.
They were slumped in the lounge, all watching tv
Some crazy show claiming to be “Reality”
Then a child sneaked a present from under the tree
She ripped off the wrapping with undisguised glee.
Her face fell and she sucked in her breath with a hiss,
She turned to her parents and said “What is THIS?”
They turned from the TV as one just to look:
She held out towards them a beautiful book.
“It’s a book.” said her Dad, “Who on Earth gave you that?”
“I thought Santa would bring you a scarf and a hat…”
“It says it’s from Granny.” said the girl with a frown.
“She always gives presents that let people down.
But what does it DO? Does it play tunes or shows?
I can’t even see where the power lead goes.
There isn’t a screen or some buttons to press.
I can’t think of anything I wanted less.”
Her mother was smiling, her thoughts in a whirl.
“It’s the same book that I had when I was a girl!”
She took the book with trembling hand
And stroked the title “Storyland”
She flipped the pages, smiling wide,
Rediscovered the pictures bright , inside.
“Dad,” she said, not turning round,
“Would you turn off the tv sound?”
When silence fell, but for clock’s chime
She smiled and started “Once upon a time…”
While the TV showed silent, unwatched car chases
They travelled together to distant places.
They escaped the press of the digital age
And lost themselves in words on a page.
And though the book took them far, far away,
They were all home in bed before Christmas Day.
Technology’s great, though it moves on so fast
And tablets and iPods don’t seem built to last.
But consider this Christmas the books that you’ve read
Till the pages were tattered and the words in your head
So familiar to you, you need barely look.
Then give someone you love the gift of a book.
- Damian Trasler – Bio
- E-books by Damian Trasler
- #1989 (no title)
- A Time For Farewells – Carnoustie Theatre Club
- A Time for Farewells – FEST Production, 2011
- A Time for Farewells – Hong Kong Productions
- A Time for Farewells – RAF Halton
- A Time For Farewells : Titirangi Theatre
- Don’t mention the Dream at the Method Actor’s Training Center, Pretoria
- For Sale – Baby Shoes – Never Worn: Kilmuckridge Drama Group
- Strange New Worlds by Send Amateur Dramatic Society
- The KADS Radio Plays
- The Kitchen Skirmishes – Mexico Area Community Theatre
- The Red Balloon – All the King’s Men, Niagara
- The Red Balloon – Mexico Area Community Theatre
- Waiting For Twist Stiffly – Tualatin High School
- Work In Progress – Mexico Area Community Theatre
- Read my Play Scripts
- Script Appraisal Service
- TLC Creative
Tag CloudAmazon author blog blogging book review Books Canada Canadian Chuck Wendig comedy Community Theatre cosplay Dalek Damian Trasler David Lovesy Dim Doctor Who e-book e-publishing ebook ebooks e books Eldest Weasel emigrating emigration employment epublishing Facebook free ebook Good Books Harry Potter house how to write James Moran JK Rowling job John Scalzi Juggling Kristen Lamb Lazy Bee Scripts Library Lucy V Hay Moose movies Mrs Dim Neil Gaiman New Year novel novels Olympics play plays play scripts playwright Play writing publishing Reading screenplay scripts Self-publishing Shakespeare sketches Star Wars Stephen King theatre TLC Creative UK Vancouver weasels work write a novel writer writing writing a novel writing a play
RSS blog link
Join 444 other subscribers
- Break Where I go to relax
- BUY MY BOOK! Writing a play for Community Theatre My downloadable pdf format book – a bargain, I tell you!
- Compelling Communications A blog and a useful company in one site
- Emigrate BC – Mrs Dim's website A website with helpful advice for families considering emigrating to BC
- James Moran's Blog A great TV/film writer shares his experiences
- Kirsten's blogging/social Media advice blog The bets practical and understandable advice about your web platform if you’re an aspiring writer. Funny but relevent!
- Lazy Bee Scripts My online publisher – you can find all my plays available to read here.
- Living Abroad in Canada Info and experiences for new and would-be Canadians
- Lucy V Hay's blog – Write here, write now THE lady to read when it comes to screenwriting advice. This is where I send my screenplays for reviewing.
- Mark Niel's blog – pawhouseboy The blog of a friend, sometime co-writer and poet extraordinaire, Mark Niel
- Miss 604 Vancouver blog A smart lady who knows Social Media and Vancouver equally well.
- My very own online store A place to find my merchandise and stuff…..
- Paul and Tracy's Canal Adventure My friends Paul and Tracy try houseboat living for a year.
- Phill Barron's excellent writing blog – contains the odd rude word! Writing advice with expletives: Not for the faint hearted!
- Professional Writer's Association of Canada THE association for Professional Writers in Canada
- Relocation to BC A great website by a great couple who run a great business
- Richard James online Friend, fellow writer, actor on stage screen and television : The stellar Richard James’ blog
- The Famous John Lee The website of an extraordinary travel writer, beer drinker and all-around nice guy.
- The Grant Rant A voice of Vancouver – writing about writing and life as well.
- The PWAC blog The latest news from the Vancouver chapter of the Professional Writers Association of Canada
- Tiffany A White's Ooo Factor A fellow WANA alumnus who knows her TV and is, of course, FabOoolous!
- TLC Creative my UK writing partnership
The Vault – Monthly archive
Long live the printed page!
Thank you! I’m doing my bit for e-books too, but I love me a physical book….